Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The Idol Concert: The Highlights

Before I get into the concert, let me just say a big congratulations to Huntington. The economic impact of the concert had to be huge as the entire city was just crazy with Idol mania.

The Idols continually said the Huntington crowd was one of the best they’d seen. Now, I know they probably say that in a lot of places, but Katharine seemed genuinely surprised by the fan reaction (maybe people don’t normally clap for her). And Chris was noticeably touched by the reaction to him (Poor Elliott never had a chance.).

And, in case you’re wondering, by my calculations it was Chris who the majority of the crowd was there to see. In fact, there was a mass exodus to the restrooms, concessions and souvenir stands after his performance (See what I mean about Elliott?). But when he caught everyone by surprise by returning to the stage with the rest of the guys after Elliott’s performance, there was mass pandemonium as everyone tried to get back to their seats.

Just for the record, Elliott wasn’t the only one with a mass exodus problem. Lisa Tucker had one as well.

Overall, the concert was a good one. It’s obvious that someone has been working with the Idols because they sounded better than they ever did on the show—even Bucky. But, here, for me, were the highlights of the concert, counting down to the biggest and best:

5) Paris’ “bootylicious” dance moves
I always said during the season that she was too young to be showing the moves that
she did. Well, we hadn’t seen anything yet as Princess P did her best Beyonce while
singing “Crazy In Love.” She definitely knows how to put on a show.

4) Ace singing “Father Figure”
I admit it. This is what I paid for and Ace delivered. Without the nerves of the Idol
show pressure Ace could just let it rip. “Harder to Breathe” was pretty good too.

3) Taylor performing “Country Roads”
I’m not sure that Taylor’s singing was all that special, but Huntington made it special.

2) Ace wearing a “We are…Marshall” shirt when he joined Taylor to finish “Country
Roads”
This was a highlight for me because I was wearing the same shirt, but the audience
loved it too. I just wish he would have worn it during the finale.

1) Chris and Elliott dueting on Nickelback’s “Savin’ Me”
I don’t know what was more surprising—that Elliott and Chris could sound so good
together or that Elliott could handle a rock song. Either way, it was awesome! If I
was Chris, I’d remember him for the CD.

There were lowlights as well, namely Lisa Tucker; but I was also disappointed with Katharine’s rendition of “Black Horse and a Cherry Tree.” I know she was making it her own, but the “woo-hoo” s were on the wrong beat! And Kellie and Bucky’s duet of “The One That I Want” was a little scary. And then there was that HALF-HOUR intermission…

So what did you think? What was your favorite moment?

Just post a comment and let me know.