Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Friday, January 26, 2007

My Screen Actors Guild (TV) Predictions

So I was 3 of 8 on my Golden Globes picks—although since I knew that Jeremy Irons would be tough to beat, I think it was more like 3 ½…

So I’m going to give it another shot with the Screen Actors Guild Awards (SAGs). The SAGs are special because they are voted on by the actors themselves and not based on whatever episode an actor submitted. In other words, justice is usually served.

Here are my predictions…

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
James Gandolfini, “The Sopranos”
Michael C. Hall, “Dexter”
Hugh Laurie, “House”
James Spader, “Boston Legal”
Kiefer Sutherland, “24”
Will Win: Michael C. Hall. I know I predicted him for the Golden Globes, but I still feel like he’s going to get some recognition from somewhere. Kiefer has taken this one home two out of the last three years, but since he finally won his Emmy last year, I think the SAGs will show some love to someone else.
Want to Win: Why not three out of four?

Female Actor in a Drama
Patricia Arquette, “Medium”
Edie Falco, “The Sopranos”
Mariska Hargitay, “Law & Order: SVU”
Kyra Sedgwick, “The Closer”
Chandra Wilson, “Grey’s Anatomy”
Will Win: Edie Falco. I know, I was wrong about her at the Globes too; but I’m still feeling that someone will want to “right an Emmy wrong.”
Want to Win: Kyra Sedgwick. Might as well be two-for-two.

Male Actor in a Comedy
Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock”
Steve Carell, “The Office”
Jason Lee, “My Name Is Earl”
Jeremy Piven, “Entourage”
Tony Shalhoub, “Monk”
Will Win: Alec Baldwin. This guy is on a hot streak.
Want to Win: Anyone but Tony Shalhoub. Hasn’t this guy won enough?

Female Actor in a Comedy
America Ferrera, “Ugly Betty”
Felicity Huffman, “Desperate Housewives”
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, “The New Adventures of Old Christine”
Megan Mullaly, “Will & Grace”
Mary Louise-Parker, “Weeds”
Jamie Pressly, “My Name Is Earl”
Will Win: Megan Mullaly. Conventional wisdom says that America Ferrera is on a hot streak, but this is the last chance for the SAGs to honor a perennial favorite—and she could use the good news.
Want to Win: America Ferrera. She deserves another chance to walk away with an award without a reporter asking her about how the network didn’t want her for the part.

Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series
“24”
“Boston Legal”
“Deadwood”
“Grey’s Anatomy”
“The Sopranos”
Will Win: “24.” Conventional wisdom says “Grey’s Anatomy.” But with the critically acclaimed Gregory Itzin and Jean Smart in your ensemble, not to mention a two-time SAG winner, I’ve got to think you’ve got a good shot.
Want to Win: “24,” of course. I mean, do we really want to give the “Grey’s” cast another chance to talk to the press?

Ensemble in a Comedy
“Desperate Housewives”
“Entourage”
“The Office”
“Ugly Betty”
“Weeds”
Will Win: “The Office.” Just a gut feeling.
Want to Win: “Entourage.” No reason. I just like those guys.

Interestingly, “Boston Legal” was shut out of the nominations last year because it chose to compete in the comedy categories. Obviously someone made the right decision this year.

And for the record, Kiefer’s SAG winning streak was only broken when they wisely chose to honor the late, great Jerry Orbach—the only time I’ve ever been thrilled to see Kiefer lose an award.

The “SAG Awards” air Sunday, January 28th at 8 p.m. on both TNT and TBS…