Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Sunday, March 18, 2007

"Grease: You're The One That I Want": A Reality Check

So now that Derek is out of the competition and I think it’s safe to say none of us really cares what happens next, I thought it was time for a reality check…

Though the show is doing a good job of hyping things up, the truth is that “Grease: You’re the One That I Want” has been a ratings failure for NBC. After premiering with over 12 million viewers, the show has slipped to just above six million viewers.

NBC didn’t do it any favors scheduling it against the Super Bowl and the Grammys and not giving it very much promotion or an additional results show, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the ratings dropped after the performance shows began. Because although they’ve improved considerably since the show went to an hour, let’s face it. It’s been a bit of a cheesefest.

And here’s a few reasons why…

The hosts. For me, Billy Bush is one of the most annoying people on TV. It’s clear he’s trying to be Ryan Seacrest and he’s failing miserably. And if you choose to have two hosts, then you have to give them both something to do and in trying to give Denise a task, she cut into the panel’s time, which let’s face it, is what we really wanted to hear.

Those nicknames. Were the nicknames supposed to help us remember the contestants better? To me they were just silly. “Hot Danny”? “Small-Town Sandy”? Whatever…

Those matching costumes. Why was it necessary to have them wearing those shirts and skirts with the D? and S? See what I mean about cheesy?

Did I mention Billy Bush?

The music. As Chuck has pointed out in his blog, it’s a little difficult for America to pick Danny and Sandy when they’re not singing Danny and Sandy songs—or even Broadway songs at all. I can’t help but wonder if while trying to be another “American Idol” they may have sacrificed getting the best performers for the Broadway show. Not even the duet songs in the finals were from “Grease.” Why wouldn’t we hear them sing “You’re the One That I Want”?

I also think America was put off when they discovered their choices for elimination wouldn’t be honored. Several weeks the panel saved the person with the lowest number of votes (including Austin last week). I think a lot of people (including me) thought that was unfair.

There’s one more thing about the show. Although the Broadway show sold over $1 million in advance tickets in the first week of the show, sales have been sluggish ever since. And the Broadway show has yet to find a theater.

Now I’m not saying that all of this wasn’t great exposure for the contestants, because I believe it was, but I think it could’ve been even better with a little less cheese…

And A LOT less Billy Bush…

Labels: