Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Monday, August 20, 2007

"High School Musical 2" Review: Bigger Doesn't Always Mean Better

It's obvious from the opening number of “High School Musical 2,” “What Time Is It?” that this one is going to be much bigger. Bigger dance numbers, bigger song production—bigger everything.

But unfortunately, bigger doesn't always mean better…

Director/Choreographer Kenny Ortega already had a daunting task in front of him since the plot of this movie didn’t revolve around a musical, which made the songs in the first movie fit more naturally. But instead of rising to the challenge and finding a way to seamlessly integrate the songs, Ortega went the music video route with three of the songs, editing together montages that took away the simplicity I loved in the first movie.

“Fabulous” is a cute song, but the music video Ortega puts together for it, takes us right out of the story—especially when we see Ryan playing the piano in the pool—but then we’re expected to jump right back in when Sharpay sees Troy. And I was completely disappointed with parts of “I Don’t Dance,” which I think is the best song of the movie. Instead of letting it flow like “Getcha Head In the Game” did, Ortega forces in the dance routines. So when Chad and Ryan have their face-off in the song, we’re seeing a group dance on the field, instead of the two of them going toe-to-toe.

But I guess I should just face the fact that simplicity is long gone from anything “High School Musical”…

That’s especially clear in the music which has more elaborate production values, but for the first 40 minutes or so, it seems like all of the work went into the songs, and no one bothered to find enough story to put them together. Basically we just see a bunch of excuses for the characters to sing.

But when the movie finally focuses on story and slows down the pace of the song appearances, it starts to find its groove as Troy gets more and more sucked into Sharpay’s world. The showdown between Troy and Chad is great stuff (It’s funny that they got cracked up shooting it, which we saw during the closing credits.).

However, the movie played the “You Are the Music In Me” card too early. I had wondered about that when I listened to the soundtrack since it’s a much better song for the stirring climax than “Everyday.” Obviously the people behind the movie thought so too, because they play “Music” in its original version (complete with Kelsi beginning it) over the main characters frolicking outside the club. But if no one’s singing, doesn’t that completely take the musical aspect out of it? I would’ve had Troy and Gabriella reprise the chorus in a big romantic moment.

And don’t even get me started on “Bet On It.” I said in my review of the CD that I was interested to see how that one was going to work in the movie. It didn’t. When Ortega could’ve actually used a montage, he instead went with Troy dancing around the golf course in what looked to be Zac Efron’s audition for “Footloose.” That scene screamed for a ballad a la the first one’s “When There Was Me and You.”

So if you’re still reading this, you’re probably thinking I hated “HSM 2.” On the contrary, I actually liked it…

Remember what I said in my CD review? “But I have a feeling that when I see Ryan finally put Sharpay in her place (and he better), I’ll be okay.”

And that’s what happened. No matter what problems I had with the movie they all went away in that moment when Sharpay realized she’d been tricked and Ryan looked at her and said “Exactly.” I actually cheered out loud. In my opinion, Lucas Grabeel is the most underrated actor in the cast, and Ryan has become my favorite character. Seeing his character become independent of Sharpay was just what I had been waiting for.

Troy and Gabriella fans also got what they had been waiting for as we finally saw the two kiss (Three times!) after several near misses earlier in the movie. And the chemistry between Efron and Vanessa Hudgens (who have finally admitted they’re dating in real life) is off the charts. But who could resist Efron’s soulful baby blues anyway?

And even though “Everyday” is not as good of a song as “You Are the Music In Me,” the climactic reunion of Troy and Gabriella was better than advertised. I (along with everyone watching) knew what was going to happen, but I still loved every note of it—even if it was completely unrealistic that Troy learned the song that quickly. And the fact that Ryan gave up his spot to get Troy and Gabriella back together? Priceless.

And who didn’t say, “Awwww” when Ryan and Sharpay made up?

I didn’t like the ending of this one as well with the cast members (and Miley Cyrus in a blink-and-you-missed-it cameo) actually singing in front of microphones for the final number, “All For One,” but then the ending with Sharpay and Zeke is my favorite part of the first one, so it’s hard to compare.

But you can’t help but compare the sequel to the original, and in this case, I think the edge definitely goes to the original. I guess simple just works best for me…

You can compare for yourself when Disney Channel repeats “High School Musical 2” Thursday, August 23rd at 8 p.m. and “High School Musical” Sunday, August 26th at 8 p.m…

And if you did see it, be sure to let me know what you thought…