Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Friday, September 14, 2007

My Emmy Predictions

So now it’s time for me to make my Emmy predictions. And I’m not going to lie to you. It was pretty tough this year…

If you’re new to how I do this, I pick who I think will win, plus I pick a Wild Card, the nominee I think has a great shot at playing spoiler. Then, I pick the person I really want to win.

Last year, I got two picks, two Wild Cards and two Want to Wins—which is not very good, but since Kiefer and “24” won, I don’t really care.

So without further ado, here they are. Feel free to let me know your picks by posting a comment, or sending me an e-mail to hdstaytuned@hotmail.com...

Outstanding Drama Series
“Boston Legal”
“Grey’s Anatomy”
“Heroes”
“House”
“The Sopranos”

My Pick: “The Sopranos.” This is Emmy’s last shot to honor the show many consider to be one of the best in history.
Wild Card: “Grey’s Anatomy.” I originally said that “Boston Legal” could play spoiler, but not every judge saw the Katrina-inspired episode and I don’t know how “BL” had five other solid episodes to submit (Series nominees must submit six episodes.).
Want to Win: Without “24,” I honestly don’t care, but “The Sopranos” probably deserves it.

Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Patricia Arquette, “Medium”
Minnie Driver, “The Riches”
Edie Falco, “The Sopranos”
Sally Field, “Brothers & Sisters”
Mariska Hargitay, “Law & Order: SVU”
Kyra Sedgwick, “The Closer”

My Pick: This one’s a doozy, but I’m going with Edie Falco, strictly on sentimentality.
Wild Card: It’s hard to pick against Sally Field, but Kyra Sedgwick not winning last year was a surprise, so I’ll go with her here.
Want to Win: Minnie Driver. I don’t really know why.

Lead Actor in a Drama Series
James Gandolfini, “The Sopranos”
Hugh Laurie, “House”
Denis Leary, “Rescue Me”
James Spader, “Boston Legal”
Kiefer Sutherland, “24”

My Pick: It’s a tough call between Gandolfini and Laurie, but I’m going with James Gandolfini.
Wild Card: Although I think if Gandolfini doesn’t win that it will probably go to Laurie, the real wild card here is James Spader. Voters may be swayed by the content of his episode which railed on the Bush administration for its handling of Katrina.
Want to Win: Do you even have to ask? He’s got no chance, but he did submit a good episode—the season finale which gave him his best scene of the year (a scene which was his idea, by the way).

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series
William Shatner, “Boston Legal”
T.R. Knight, “Grey’s Anatomy”
Masi Oka, “Heroes”
Michael Emerson, “Lost”
Terry O’Quinn, “Lost”
Michael Imperioli, “The Sopranos”

My Pick: Terry O’Quinn. This one is probably the most interesting category of them all. Several critics are saying the frontrunner, Masi Oka, stumbled by submitting the episode “5 Years Gone” because it shows more future Hiro than loveable Hiro. But that is the same episode that got him the nomination, so I’m not sure I agree with that theory. However, I’m going with Quinn because the voters got to see strong performances from him in two episodes—his submission and the submission of Michael Emerson.
Wild Card: Voters will also get to see two episodes from Michael Emerson (his and Quinn’s), but he could be hurt by his character and there’s that whole “Sopranos” sentimentality. But for me, the real wild card here is T.R. Knight, who might reel in some sympathy votes.
Want to Win: I’m okay with Emerson or Quinn, because they’re both deserving.

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series
Rachel Griffiths, “Brothers & Sisters”
Katherine Heigl, “Grey’s Anatomy”
Chandra Wilson, “Grey’s”
Sandra Oh, “Grey’s”
Aida Turturro, “The Sopranos”
Lorraine Bracco, “Sopranos”

My Pick: Sandra Oh
Wild Card: Lorraine Bracco
Want to Win: Anyone but Katherine Heigl

Comedy Series
“Entourage”
“The Office”
“30 Rock”
“Two and a Half Men”
“Ugly Betty”

My Pick: “Ugly Betty”
Wild Card: “30 Rock”
Want to Win: “Two and a Half Men.” That would REALLY rile up the critics.

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series
Alec Baldwin, “30 Rock”
Steve Carell, “The Office”
Ricky Gervais, “Extras”
Tony Shalhoub, “Monk”
Charlie Sheen, “Two and a Half Men”

My Pick: Alec Baldwin. He’s got all the buzz.
Wild Card: Tony Shalhoub. Emmy LOVES him.
Want to Win: Charlie Sheen. That would really rile up the critics.

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series
America Ferrera, “Ugly Betty”
Tina Fey, “30 Rock”
Felicity Huffman, “Desperate Housewives”
Julia-Louis Dreyfus, “The New Adventures of Old Christine”Mary-Louise Parker, “Weeds”

My Pick: America Ferrera
Wild Card: Tina Fey
Want to Win: Fey, because I like her, or Julia Louis-Dreyfus because she gets zero love from her network

Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series
Kevin Dillon, “Entourage”
Jeremy Piven, “Entourage”
Neil Patrick Harris, “How I Met Your Mother”
Rainn Wilson, “The Office”
Jon Cryer, “Two and a Half Men”

My Pick: Rainn Wilson
Wild Card: Jeremy Piven
Want to Win: Kevin Dillon. I’d also be okay with Neil Patrick Harris. And since Jon Cryer would really rile up the critics, I’d be okay with that too.

Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series
Jaime Pressly, “My Name Is Earl”
Jenna Fischer, “The Office”
Holland Taylor, “Two and a Half Men”
Conchata Ferrell, “Two and a Half Men”
Vanessa Williams, “Ugly Betty”
Elizabeth Perkins, “Weeds”

My Pick: Elizabeth Perkins
Wild Card: Jenna Fischer
Want to Win: Holland Taylor, but not because it would rile up the critics. They actually like her, and so do I.

Outstanding Reality-Competition Program
“The Amazing Race”
“American Idol”
“Dancing With the Stars”
“Project Runway”
“Top Chef”

My Pick: “Project Runway.” I believe it’s finally their year.
Wild Card: “American Idol.” They submitted the “Idol Gives Back” episode, so that’s bound to stir some voter emotion.
Want to Win: “Project Runway”

Remember, the Emmys air live this Sunday beginning at 8 p.m. on FOX. I'll be away from the blog until I rejoin you Sunday night to take you through the entire event.

So, you know what to do...