Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Alan Rosenberg Is Ticking Me Off

I have always been a fan of Alan Rosenberg.

He is in one of my favorite TV-movies of all time—“The Temptations.”

But sadly, I don’t think I will be able to watch his part in that movie the same way ever again.

Because, let’s face it. Alan Rosenberg, the president of SAG, is ticking me off…

Now, I know I need to tread lightly here because I don’t want to offend any union members out there, but I just can’t see how an Actors’ Strike could possibly be beneficial at this time.

As I said before, I strongly believe that everyone should get what they are entitled to and if actors aren’t getting a big enough piece of the new media (Internet, downloads, etc.) pie then they should get more.

But why is the deal that was good enough for the writers and the directors not good enough for the actors? Can someone explain that one to me?

Danny Devito and Rhea Perlman have begun a petition that asks for the strike authorization vote scheduled for next month to be called off, the deal from the studios be accepted and the guild rally its forces to get a better deal in 2011. The petition has now been supported by big names like George Clooney and Robert Redford.

The pro-strike actors, which include Martin Sheen and Eric Bogosian, argue that new media concerns cannot wait until 2011 and must be dealt with now. Rosenberg himself argues that the guild cannot allow the economy to force the actors to accept a bad deal.

But how can you not consider the economy? All TV and movie studios are cutting jobs and cutting back on productions. Both TV and movies are just now recovering from the Writers’ Strike. Another strike in this economy could be absolutely crippling.

In fact, I believe that an actors’ strike could kill network television as we know it…

So why is Rosenberg pushing so hard for a strike vote? If he doesn’t get the 75% he needs, then SAG will just have to accept the deal anyway, so what’s the point of all of this?

What do you guys think?