Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Pick of the Week: When Politics and Religion Collide

Those of you who are longtime readers of my blogs know that there are two things that I always try to avoid talking about—politics and religion.

It’s not that I don’t have an opinion on either of those things, because I do. It’s just that I know what kind of a firestorm those two things can set off and I don’t think a blog about TV (or “American Idol” for that matter) is an appropriate venue for that kind of discussion.

So when both of those things come together right in the middle of one of my favorite shows, I admit, it makes me a little uncomfortable. But when the issues are handled as well as they are in this particular hour, I’ve got no choice but to look past my discomfort and make it this week’s Pick…

My Pick of the Week is “Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List.”

This week, Kathy decides that in order to be an A-lister, she needs to become an activist. So she takes on the cause of Prop 8, the proposition that outlawed gay marriage in California. It’s no surprise that Kathy is opposed to Prop 8 and joins the cause to rally support to defeat it next time around.

But instead of making a big publicity stunt out of it, as she does with many of her “D-List” activities, Kathy takes the cause very seriously, bringing along a group of gay teens to participate in an emotional march on Sacramento.

However, since this is the “D-List,” it doesn’t get too serious as Kathy manages to inject lots of humor. And you’ll be pleased to know that she injects it appropriately, in most cases…

I said earlier that the best episodes of this show are when Kathy shows she has a heart, and it is WAY out on her sleeve in this one as she cries more than once in the episode. And when she makes her triumphant “Norma Gay” speech with her mother at her side, well, I admit I teared up a little myself…

If you’re opposed to gay marriage, you’ll probably take offense at some of the episode. But I assure you that you won’t feel belittled for your beliefs. In fact, the volunteers of this movement go to great lengths to respect everyone’s religious beliefs, even though they clash with their own.
I will warn you, though, that the episode might make you think, so if you’re opposed to that, definitely do not watch…

“Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List” airs Monday, July 27th at 10 p.m. on Bravo…
Photo Credit: Janet Van Ham/Bravo