Stay Tuned
Reviews, previews and much more on "The Real Housewives," "How I Met Your Mother," "NCIS" and many more of your favorite shows. This is the place to talk about all of the things that make us "Stay Tuned"…

Friday, September 17, 2010

"Mike & Molly" Review: You'll Fall In Love Too

If there’s any kind of comedy I am not a fan of, it’s fat jokes. So when I heard there was going to be a sitcom about two overweight people who meet and fall for each other at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting, I was instantly concerned.

But then, I also thought the premise for “The Big Bang Theory” was lame. Chuck Lorre proved me wrong then, and he has proved me wrong now. Yes, his new sitcom, “Mike & Molly,” does have its fair share of fat jokes. But they’re never cruel. And more than that, they’re actually funny…

Billy Gardell is Mike Biggs, a police officer who’s been looking more for the right diet than the right woman. But when he meets Molly Flynn (Melissa McCarthy), an overweight school teacher, at an Overeaters Anonymous meeting, sparks immediately fly.

Trying to help Mike navigate the world of romance is his partner, Carl (Reno Wilson). Annoying Molly more than helping her is her sister, Victoria (Katy Mixon), and her mother, Joyce (Swoosie Kurtz).

The mother and sister could definitely use some better things to do, but Mike and Molly are totally adorable. I watched the pilot twice (There were two versions.) and I laughed out loud both times when Mike talks to Molly’s fourth grade class. And Molly is pretty funny in those scenes too.

I’m a big fan of the traditional sitcom and this one is as traditional as it gets—and I mean that as a total compliment. We don’t know how long it will take Mike and Molly to actually fall in love with each other. But it will only take a few minutes for you to fall in love with them…

“Mike & Molly” premieres Monday, September 20th at 9:30 p.m. on CBS…

Photo Credit: Art Streiber/CBS